Union Flag

Union Flag

Saturday 19 April 2014

Introducing Karen Sykes and Fly - Heelwork To Music Team Leader

I have 3 dogs, 2 Working Sheepdogs and 1 rescue crossbreed.  Fly, Erin and Midge.  Midge is my one year old working sheepdog and is dancing along nicely to follow in my other dogs’ paw-prints.  Erin is 5 years old and was Reserve Freestyle for Team GB 2013 in Holland.

This is the 3rd year that Fly has been selected to represent Great Britain at the Open European Championships, which this year is being held in Germany.  The first year I was thrilled when she won the Individual Heelwork to Music Champion title in Denmark and the Team Championship title too.  Last year she had to be withdrawn from the team due to illness but happily she has come bouncing back to compete once again this year.

Fly is a very fast and intense dog who anticipates everything which makes training a real challenge and lots of fun.  Around the home you could not wish for a more loving and well behaved dog, she is a real joy to live with.  Fly has competed at Crufts every year since the very first competition in her speciality of Heelwork to Music.  Our proudest moment in the UK together was winning the Crufts Heelwork to Music competition in 2008. 
I first competed and judged in 2001.  Since then I have continued to compete, judge and teach but never did I imagine back then where this sport would take me.  Thanks to HTM I have travelled the world with my friend Kath Hardman, holding seminars and judging which has resulted in making many great friends through this fabulous sport.
What I love about Heelwork to Music and Freestyle is that it is the only dog sport where you can do exactly what you want to within the rules and let your imagination run free.  You can show-case the individuality of your dog and never have to perform a move that the dog doesn’t like.  Dogs, dancing and music are a magical combination which gives so much joy to many!
I cannot finish my profile without mentioning my constant companion, Allan.  He has been by my side since 1983 encouraging me in everything I have done, looking after our dogs and helping me to achieve things that I never thought possible.  To represent my country is a huge honour and I shall do my very best with Fly.  Whatever the result, I can be sure I will be taking the best dog home to my wonderfully supportive family and friends!

Please note that the Kennel Club is not supporting this team in anyway by selection or in any other way.  However the Kennel Club of Great Britain has given permission to Louth and District Dog Club to enter a team for Great Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment